Andrew Oppy is an orthopaedic surgeon with a specific interest in the orthopaedic management of all trauma injuries and their sequelae.
Andrew grew up and attended school in Melbourne before finishing his medical degree at Monash University in 2000. He became a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons after completion of his Orthopaedic Surgery training with the Australian Orthopaedic Association. In addition, Andrew completed 2 further years of fellowship training in orthopaedic trauma surgery, limb reconstruction and pelvic/hip trauma surgery in Australia and the United Kingdom.
Andrew's special interests are:
- Orthopaedic Trauma - management of all acute orthopaedic fractures, associated injuries and their sequelae.
- Adult Limb Reconstruction - including post-traumatic reconstruction, joint fusions, deformity correction, non/mal unions and fracture/bone infections.
- Performing the above surgery using the world's latest advances in locking plate technology and fine wire hexapod external fixation devices.
- Arthroscopic assisted minimally invasive trauma surgery to the knee and ankle.
Currently, Andrew also works as the Lead Orthopaedic Trauma Surgeon at The Royal Melbourne Hospital. He maintains a keen interest in research and education and is a member of the following professional organisations:
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Australian Medical Association
- Australian Orthopaedic Association – Continuing Orthopaedic Education Chairman
- Australian Orthopaedic Trauma Association – Treasurer
- Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- AO Trauma - member and faculty
- OTC (Osteosynthesis and Trauma Care foundation) - South Pacific Treasurer
- Australasian Trauma Society
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association of North America (OTA) - International member
- Victorian Orthopaedic Trauma Outcomes Registry
Common Injuries Andrew treats in his private practice:
- Achilles Tendon Ruptures – Acute.
- Hamstring Tendon Ruptures – Acute.
- Biceps Tendon Ruptures – Acute.
- Foot and Ankle fractures.
- Tibia plateau (knee) fractures.
- Patella Fractures.
- Fractured Neck of Femur.
- Wrist (distal Radius) fractures.
- Elbow Fractures.
- Proximal Humerus (Shoulder) fractures.
- Clavicle Fractures.
- Stress Fractures.
- Pathological Fractures.
- Infected Fractures.
- Knee Arthroscopy.
- Ankle Arthroscopy.
- Fine Wire Circular (Taylor Spatial) Frames.
Andrew consults at:
Andrew operates at:
Info SheetsAchilles Tendon Repair Rehabilitation Protocol
Acute Scaphoid Fractures
Foot and Ankle Surgery
Hamstring Repair - Postoperative Rehabilitation Guidelines
Knee Arthroscopy - Postoperative Guidelines
Non-operative treatment of Achilles tendon ruptures
The Hand and Wrist
The Hip Joint